Hosted PBX Solutions Provides a Fool-Proof Aid to Companies’ Overall Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Solutions
Not too long ago, “Superstorm Sandy” inflicted immense damage on the East Coast of the United States. In Connecticut alone, Governor Daniel Malloy estimated the hurricane caused $360 million in damages to businesses and homes.
The consequences of being unprepared for a disaster, especially one of Sandy’s magnitude, can cripple a business. How long could your business survive not being able to conduct revenue-generating operations?
To survive any unforeseen event or uncontrollable circumstance, businesses must include communications when they develop their disaster recovery plans. After all, phone communications are the lifeblood of most businesses. Will your on-premise communications equipment keep running during a man-made or natural disaster? Will you be able to speak to your employees, customers, partners and vendors?
The Critical Role of Hosted PBX Solutions in Disaster Recovery
If you want to run your business anytime, anywhere, you should seriously consider a Hosted PBX solution as part of your disaster recovery strategy. Since a Hosted PBX system operates in the cloud, the odds of continuing to operate your business during emergencies greatly increase.
Although the concept isn’t new, the technology used in Hosted PBX solutions is anything but old. Today’s sophisticated equipment is light-years ahead in terms of features and functionality.
The Benefits of Hosted PBX for Disaster Recovery
For businesses especially reliant on collaboration, replacing a legacy phone system with a hosted solution provides many benefits. Using cloud-based technologies, a Hosted PBX solution is managed off-site in a secure environment. The chances of a man-made or natural disaster threatening your phone communications become greatly diminished.
Because your phone system equipment is located off-site in a physically protected environment, Hosted PBX provides an economical way to ensure voice communication that will aid in an overall disaster recovery solution. A proven communications provider will house equipment in a hardened data center with backup systems and ample network bandwidth.
Useful Hosted PBX Features for Disasters
Before selecting a Hosted PBX provider, you should consider the features most important for disaster recovery. Some features that will keep your phones ringing during a disaster or unplanned outage include:
- Call Forwarding – A Hosted PBX solution allows you to forward calls to any number from anywhere at any time. Also called call failover, you can redirect calls to landlines and/or cell phones. Using preset options, you can even configure call forwarding so it functions automatically if your phones go down.
- Simultaneous Ring – With a Hosted PBX solution, you’re able to program extensions so they ring in multiple locations at the same time. So if one location is experiencing an outage, the phone calls can still be answered in another location.
- Call Paths – If you’re experiencing a spike in call traffic because of a disaster, a Hosted PBX solution allows you to manage the overflow quickly and easily. You simply add call paths on your hosted phone system to help efficiently manage the increased call volume.
- Custom Messages – In the event of a disaster, you can reassure customers you’re open for business and available to serve them. With a Hosted PBX auto attendant you can record a custom message that outlines how your business operations have been affected by the disaster (if it has), your hours of operation during the disaster or any changes in service during the emergency.
- Hot Desking – Because multiple offices are connected seamlessly together in a hosted environment, a traveling employee can turn any phone in a connected office into their personal extension. Entering your username and password allows all calls to their assigned extension to ring on that phone and your settings to follow you.
- Voicemail to eMail Transcription– This feature provides the most flexibility for receiving your phone messages. You can access messages left on your voicemail using any landline or cell phone. Or, you can log into your email account and read your voicemail messages there.
These are just some of the Hosted PBX features that would prove useful during a disaster. With a service provider to manage and maintain your system, you have one less thing to worry about. If a disaster strikes, you can focus on keeping your business running. Hosted PBX offers a maintenance-free, feature-rich, flexible solution that can keep your phones ringing even when the unexpected happens.
By providing more streamlined, intelligent and cost-efficient solutions, FairPoint Communications helps businesses of any size get the most from their voice applications. FairPoint offers two voice options: Hosted PBX and SIP Trunking. A cloud-based voice service, FairPoint’s Hosted PBX eliminates capital investments in communications equipment. SIP Trunking leverages an organization’s existing on-premise equipment by connecting it to FairPoint’s advanced softswitch network. Both options simplify network requirements, provide access to enhanced features and lower operational costs.
For more information on FairPoint Hosted PBX or SIP Trunking solutions, visit http://www.fairpoint.com/enterprise/voice/.
You can also download “10 Things Your Business Can Do With FairPoint Hosted PBX” for additional information.